Dr. Thomas Wiener is a plastic surgeon in the Houston, TX area who performs a wide range of body procedures for men and women. One of the more common procedures performed at his practice is that of breast augmentation and breast lifts. These procedures are used to help enhance the chest, helping women feel more confident in their appearance. As with any surgery, there are certain post-operative instructions that patients should follow to ensure they heal properly and reduce their risks of infection, swelling, bruising, and pain. Below are recommendations from Dr. Thomas Wiener in regards to ways of reducing swelling and bruising following breast procedures at his practice.
Tips for reducing post-operative concerns such as swelling and bruising:
- Wear a compression garment, such as a compression bra, as advised by your doctor to prevent bleeding and facilitate more effective healing.
- Use cold compresses for the first few days to reduce swelling, often in 15 minute intervals with 20 minute breaks. This can also reduce spreading of bruises, keeping them localized near the surgical site.
- Get a good night’s rest. With proper rest and recovery, patients will not only heal faster but feel their best each day. Be sure to keep the upper body elevated to alleviate discomfort.
- Eat a nutrition diet and reduce salt intake that can contribute to fluid retention—which can worsen bruising and swelling.
- Stay hydrated, drinking plenty of water to reduce surgery-related swelling by enhancing blood circulation. Many patient will benefit by drinking two liters of water a day following their procedure.
- Take your medication as directed by the doctor and take care of the breast area as recommended by our surgical team. This will not only help manage swelling and bruising, but also pain and discomfort often experienced following surgical procedures.
Schedule time to talk to Dr. Thomas Wiener regarding the recovery process following breast procedures
Whether you’re looking to have a breast lift or breast augmentation performed at Thomas Wiener Plastic Surgery in Houston, TX, we encourage you to talk to our professionals about what to expect during the healing period. Call (281) 488-5795 to schedule a visit at our facility, located at 2323 Clear Lake City Boulevard, Suite #152.