The top 5 things to do before your plastic surgery
Any plastic surgery is a major procedure and certain things can affect your recovery, wound healing, and overall result.
What are some of the things that can affect your surgery?
- Nutrition. Wound healing requires large amounts of protein. Eating a high protein diet (meat, eggs, fish, etc.) starting a few weeks before your surgery can help.
- Discuss any prescription or over-the-counter medications and substances that you take with your surgeon. Many over-the-counter herbal substances are blood thinners and some substances can interact with anesthesia. This includes steroid nasal sprays which can cause wound breakdown.
- Nicotine and some of the substances in inhaled marijuana can affect wound healing and in some types of surgeries, can cause serious loss of skin and tissue.
- If you are sick, even with a cold, prior to your surgery, let your plastic surgeon know as quickly as possible because this can be very dangerous at the time of anesthesia.
- Take the time to read your instruction sheets given to you as they are important to get the best possible result and to minimize complications.
Preparing for your surgery and making sure you are in the best physical condition possible will help to decrease risks and get you the look that you want. Find out more by scheduling a visit today with Dr. Wiener